Grilled Miso Cod Lettuce Wraps
1 hr 30 min
Dashi RDX lacquers juicy grilled fish, marrying smokiness and stickiness in a fresh, crisp veil of vegetables and bracing herbaceousness. Try brushing Dashi RDX on other ingredients when they’re pulled off the grill. Don’t let the ingredients list stop you; add more garnish ingredients if you’ve got them around!
700g (1.5 lb) Skin-On Fillet of Black Cod (or another similarly firm, white fish
100g (1/2 cup) White Miso
30g (2 tbsp) Sugar
50g (3 tbsp) Mirin
1 head Butter Lettuce, separated into leaves
Daikon Radish, julienned
Cucumber, thinly sliced
Scallions, thinly sliced
Dashi RDX, for brushing
1. Combine the miso, sugar and mirin and mix until smooth. Slather the mixture over the flesh-side of the fish and marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. After marinating, gently wipe any excess miso off the fish. Cut the fillet into roughly 15cm x 5cm pieces and thread each piece onto a wooden skewer.
3. Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat (or light an equivalent amount of charcoal).
4. When the grill is hot, oil a paper towel and grease the grill grates. Lay the fish skewers skin-side down and cook until the fish is deeply caramelized and the skin is crispy. Carefully flip each skewer and cook on the flesh side just until the middle of the fish is warm. Remove from the heat immediately and brush with Dashi RDX.
5. Arrange the skewers on a serving platter and serve family-style with the remaining ingredients, instructing guests to wrap the fish up in the lettuce leaves with the accompanying garnishes and eat with their hands.