Vegan Mushroom Gravy (15 mins)
25g Vegetable Oil
400g White Button Mushroom, sliced
100g Shitake Mushroom, sliced
80g Shallot, finely chopped
50g White Vermouth
100g White Wine
30g Shiro Miso
500mL Water (you can use vegetable stock if you like)
8g Black Pepper, Freshly Cracked
5 sprigs Thyme
60g Smoked Mushroom Garum
Lingonberry Sauce (5 mins)
500g lingonberries, cleaned
Sea salt. to taste
25g Wild Rose Vinegar
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
1. In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the mushrooms all at once and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the mushrooms have heavily browned, and given up all of their liquid. They should be much smaller than their starting size.
2. Turn the heat down to low and stir in the shallots. Sweat the shallots until they are tender and translucent. Add the vermouth and reduce until nearly dry. Add the white wine and do the same.
3. Add the garum, miso and flour to the pan and stir over medium heat just until the mixture comes to a simmer. Pour in your water in 3 stages, stirring the mixture between additions to prevent lumps. Add the pepper and thyme and bring the liquid to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, pull the thyme sprigs out and discard. Transfer the gravy to the desired vessel and keep warm until serving time.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer outfitted with the paddle attachment, combine the lingonberries and sugar, and begin mixing on low speed. Continue mixing for an hour, or until the sugar pulls out the natural pectin in the fruit and the mixture thickens.
2. Season the sauce with Rose Vinegar and salt, to taste.