Charring eggplants imbues the flesh with a smoky savoriness, and turns the spongy vegetable into a luxurious, pulpy puree. Dashi RDX builds out the smoke and balances the sharpness of the eggplant with a subtle sweetness. Perfect with toast points, crudités and even as a spread in a sandwich.
50g (2 tbsp) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Shallot, minced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
50g (1 tbsp) Tahini
300g (1.5 cups) Creme Fraiche
Chives, minced, to taste
Parsley, finely chopped, to taste
Salt, to taste
Lemon Juice, to taste
Dashi RDX, to finish
1. Preheat the grill to high heat (or light the equivalent amount of charcoal).
2. Place the eggplant on the grill and roast until the outside skin has darkened and shriveled and the inner flesh is completely soft. Remove the eggplant from the grill and place in a plastic container with the lid sealed to steam for 10-15 minutes.
3. While the eggplant is steaming, add the oil to a small pot along with the shallot and garlic and sweat the ingredients until the shallot has become translucent but not caramelized. Set aside.
4. Carefully peel the eggplant skin off of the eggplant, making sure to only remove skin and not lose any pulp. Transfer the pulp to the bowl of a food processor along with the cooked shallots and tahini. Blend to a homogenous paste and cool completely in the fridge.
5. Whip the creme fraiche with a whisk until the creme fraiche reaches stiff peaks. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the cooled eggplant mixture to the whipped creme fraiche.
6. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix to combine. Chill the dip completely before serving.
7. Drizzle the dip with the Dashi RDX just before serving.