Grilling cabbage adds smokiness and amps up the savoury elements of the humble cabbage. Dashi RDX doubles down on all that good stuff. A cooling yogurt dressing balances the meatiness of the cabbage. Serve as a hearty side or a satisfying vegetarian main course.
2 heads Cone Cabbage
120g (1/2 cup) Greek Yogurt
Lemon Juice, to taste
1 clove Garlic, grated
100g (1/3 cup) Cucumber, grated
Dill, chopped, to taste
10g (1 tbsp) Parsley, roughly chopped
1 Shallot, thinly sliced and separated into rings
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Dashi RDX, to finish
1. Preheat the barbecue to high heat (or light the equivalent amount of charcoal).
2. Slice the heads of cabbage in half lengthwise and then shave off the rounded end so that both sides of the cabbage are now flat. The cabbage slices should be about 2 cm thick and held together by the stem end. Brush both sides with vegetable oil and grill on the larger cut side until well-charred, but not carbonized. Flip the cabbage slices and cook on the other side just until the cabbage on that side begins to soften. Remove from the grill and place into a covered container for at least 10 minutes.
3. Salt the grated cucumbers lightly and hang in a sieve for 15 minutes. Press them or wring them in a towel to extract excess moisture.
4. Combine the cucumbers with the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and dill. Season lightly with salt, if needed, but season heavily with lemon juice. Spoon the yogurt into the bottom of a plate or bowl.
5. Carefully cut each piece of cabbage in half and remove the cores. Transfer each piece to the serving vessels, trying to keep the slices intact. Season lightly with flake salt.
6. Gently toss the parsley and shallot rings with some olive oil and mound over top each portion of cabbage. Finish with a heavy drizzle of Dashi RDX.